Sunday, July 14, 2013

Are You the Best You?

     Recently, I was sorting through my books (yes, some people still have books) and discovered my large collection of self-help/motivational books. The titles on the book store shelves always catch my eye- 'Your Best Life Now' or 'Become a Better You'.

     While perusing through my collection, I begin to wonder why I bought the books. The lessons or advice provided seemed pretty common: be a life-long learner, don't join the negative co-workers, always be willing to help, etc.  I decided to donate the books to my local library, as I didn't see the need to keep any of them. Then, I stumbled across the book that contained every message all the other books were trying to teach. It is, in my opinion, the only book that should be passed along to every new employee and become the rules of every company. The book is by Robert Fulghum.

     'All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten' was first published in 1986. The rules Fulghum posted can, and should, be followed today to be the best you.

     1. Share everything.
     2. Play fair.
     3. Don't hit people.
     4. Put things back where you found them.
     5. Clean up your own mess.
     6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
     7. Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
     8. Wash your hands before you eat.
     9. Flush.
     10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
     11. Live a balanced life- learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance
     and play and work every day some.
     12. Take a nap every afternoon.
     13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
     14. Be aware of wonder.
     15. Remember that everything/everyone will die one day; enjoy them now.

     I paraphrased a few of Fulghum's rules, but I think they are all important. I will try to remember them daily. Will you?
    
    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment