Sunday, March 30, 2014

Lessons from a Dog

                                       




In my forty plus years, I've had some wonderful opportunities & experiences. I have seen almost every state in these United States, received accolades for my service in the military and as an educator, managed a small business which protected the rights of our greatest resource-children, and developed life-long relationships with positive, energetic & altruistic people.

Five years ago, I decided the place I called home, would be my home for the next fifteen years or so. I focused more on my writing and less on traveling. I liked spending my summer days gardening in the morning, writing for a few hours every day, and watching the sunset from my deck in the evening. My home was perfect, but sometimes too quiet. So, I decided to get a dog.

I thought a dog would be perfect. My own little buddy to walk with, play in the yard and teach cute tricks. I was right. Having a dog was perfect & I did teach my Maggie a few tricks; we walk every day and love to play in the yard. However, I had no idea all the lessons she would teach me. Here's what I learned from my dog:
     1. You are replaceable at work, not at home.
     2. If something goes wrong, just shake it off & walk away.
     3. You have the right to defend yourself & bark sometimes.
     4. If something smells bad, walk away.
     5. Let people know you are happy to see them.
     6. Naps are important.
     7. It's okay to just sit.
     8. Play every day.
     9. Hug someone every day.
    10. Life is short.

I am sure the list will continue to grow....and I am thankful for that. After the many health scares with Maggie this past year, I am lucky to celebrate her 5th birthday on April 1st. Yes, April Fool's Day. Hmmm..Lesson #11- It's okay to be foolish.

1 comment: