Thursday, October 16, 2014

When It's Family... A Quarter Bought a Carousel

Today, you can't buy much for a quarter. I don't think children even ask for a quarter any more. I did. However, when I was a kid, a quarter could buy you a carousel.

I remember the quarter rides in the front of the shopping stores. My hometown had a Caldor's, Kmart and Madison's.  At each one, you could find a shiny carousel or horse just waiting for you to pay the quarter fee. In return, a few exciting minutes of being jostled back & forth on a horse, or spinning around the carousel. And yes, there was music.

There was much involved before getting permission to ride the carousel or horse. First, before entering the store, I had to make sure my mother noticed the ride.  Then, I would promise to be on my best behavior; staying close to the cart & not asking for every toy the manager strategically had placed at kid-view in the check-out line. Finally, upon leaving the store, watching mom placing her change back in her purse after paying the bill. Would she keep a quarter in her hand for the ride?

As I recall from my childhood, I got to ride the carousel many times. Not always, but often enough to remember the simple joy it brought for a few minutes. A quarter doesn't go very far these days, but the memories of what it used to buy are priceless.



2 comments:

  1. When I first started driving, I remember buying a gallon of gas for a quarter!

    ReplyDelete