Monday, November 17, 2014

Maggie's Thought for the Week: Manners Are Important

Our world is constantly changing. Every day we hear how something can make our lives easier, or get something done faster. I believe one thing should never change- expecting everyone to have manners.

Maggie had impeccable manners. She waited her turn for the ball. She knew not to continue barking after being told to stop. She did not jump on people after hearing the word 'down'. As a puppy, it was difficult for her to stop the 'puppy-eyes' look for a piece of cheese. However, she eventually learned, sitting up straight & looking cute would get a treat much quicker.

People have lost the art of good manners. Somewhere along the way, it became unnecessary  to say thank you and please. Conversations now occur with listeners never looking the speaker in the eyes. The awareness of the tone of one's voice or facial expression is not easily understood; thanks to texting & social media. The thought of having 1,000 'friends' leads one to think it's okay to 'lose a few... I'll just get more.'

I always hold the door for the person behind me. Once, in the subway of New York City, I gave my seat to a pregnant lady- after watching three men remain seated in theirs as she walked by them. I look at people when they are talking to me, and listen to what they have to say. I verbally greet others on my daily walks or acknowledge their smile. The response I receive is always the same- 'You have such nice manners. Nobody does that anymore.'

When did having manners make someone anomalous?




No comments:

Post a Comment