Monday, November 3, 2014

When It's Family... I Remember Swings

When I was a kid, there was a swing in the backyard. It was a place to day dream or spend time with a friend. You took turns pushing someone higher until their feet appeared to touch the sky, and you both giggled for each others emotional mix of fright & excitement.

In grammar school, I loved swinging with my classmates. On the school playground, we would have contests who could swing the highest or who could jump off and land the farthest. Sometimes, we would all swing in unison and talk about our teachers, parents or those stinky boys who always pulled our pony tails. It was those times we learned the art of conversation, friendship and supporting each other.  

Does anyone day dream any more? Swinging by yourself is a great opportunity to meditate and just enjoy being with you. Thinking about places you've been and places you want to go. Interesting how you can swing by yourself and nobody worries if you are lonely or upset. However, if you sit on a bench, people often ask if everything is okay.

Once, on vacation, there was a swing overlooking the ocean. Almost every morning, I woke up before sunrise to exercise on the beach. I would end my work out by watching the sunrise while sitting on the swing. Sometimes, my feet would pump the swing back & forth. Other mornings, I would just sit and stare towards the horizon- reflecting on past experiences and future endeavors. It was comforting and energizing at the same time.

I love swings.






No comments:

Post a Comment