Monday, June 24, 2013

Morning Manners

     Every morning I walk my dog. Every morning we pass the same people in cars driving to work, with their coffee cup in hand or talking on their cell phone. As every car passes, I wave and sometimes even say good morning. Please keep in mind the total of cars is probably less than twenty, but lately I've noticed something interesting.
   
     The people who return my wave live in my neighborhood. There is one other car that does not live in my neighborhood (it's actually a pick-up truck), and he always waves too. The other people who pass just stare forward. Some are even as bold to glance my way and then turn, as if to say 'sorry, no time to wave for two seconds'.

     Is it poor manners to not return a wave? Should I stop waving to every one? I've noticed the people that wave back are always smiling. Some have even stopped their cars at times to say 'I can set my watch to your walk' or 'your dog is adorable' (I like this comment the best!). It's also a nice feeling, as I start my walk every morning, to know the cars my dog and I will pass. They may even stop if we need help;especially from those black bears roaming my neighborhood!

     I'll keep waving...even to the people who don't wave back. Maybe, one day, one of the non-wavers will actually smile and tell me my dog is cute :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment