Friday, July 25, 2014

America the Beautiful...Groom, Texas


I love to travel. People often ask if I have traveled outside of the United States. My answer- Why? America is beautiful, diverse and offers a myriad of culture.

One summer, while driving across I-40 in Texas, I came upon a cross. At the time, it was advertised as the largest cross in the Western Hemisphere. I learned the cross was built by a man from Pampa, Texas. He was disgusted by all the advertising on I-40 to Amarillo (former Route 66). The cross stands nineteen stories high, an arm span of 110 feet, and weighs 1,250 tons. On a clear day, it can be seen twenty miles away from where it stands in Groom, Texas; 42 miles east of Amarillo.

In July of 1995, life-size statues of the fourteen stations of the cross were added. Ten million people visit the cross and gift shop every year. God Bless America.




No comments:

Post a Comment