Monday, July 28, 2014

Maggie's Thought for the Week: Keep Your Blanket Close

While preparing to bring home Maggie for the first time, I visited a retail store to purchase a few items. The best advice I received from a co-worker was to buy a baby blanket for the puppy. The blankets are soft, small and the puppy would be able to pull the blanket around the house. I selected a Winnie-the-Pooh blanket.

The first week with Maggie, I would place the blanket on her, kiss her goodnight and she would snuggle with the blanket in her bed. One evening, another blanket was close by, so I placed that on her and kissed her goodnight. As I walked towards the stairs, Maggie got out of her bed and followed me. I told her it was time for bed, but she gave me a confused look. I noticed the Winnie-the-Pooh blanket by her toys and picked it up. She immediately walked back towards her bed. I placed this blanket on her, kissed her goodnight and walked towards the stairs again. I glanced quickly at her and she laid in her bed, snuggling with her blanket.

Maggie kept her blanket close when I wasn't near her. The blanket and this night-time routine were comforting for her. We all have an item that either makes us feel safe or invokes sweet memories.We all have little routines or habits that bring security to our daily lives.

The Winnie-the-Pooh blanket tattered & thinned during Maggie's five years of life. The security and comfort she received from it never frayed.


No comments:

Post a Comment