Monday, July 7, 2014

Maggie's Thought for the Week: It's Okay to Just Sit






My little buddy, Maggie, passed away this month. Many of you followed her 'Thought of the Day' on Facebook.  I pondered ceasing the posting of her thoughts. Then, I realized the many lessons learned from her, and the importance to continue sharing with all of you. So, Maggie will continue to share a thought every week. I hope she continues to capture your heart, as much as she captured mine.

After Maggie passed, I found it difficult to just sit on my deck or, while hiking some of our favorite trails, just stop and sit on a rock by the stream. I wondered what people might think: That lady is just being lazy?  How can someone just sit and do nothing? She must be bored? Is something wrong with her?

Maggie taught me it's okay to just sit. Sometimes, we would sit on the lawn together and just watch a bunny in the distance. During this time, I would often reflect on my day or plan what to possibly accomplish tomorrow. However, most of the time, I would just sit.  I found my breathing to slow down and my body to completely relax. I wasn't doing anything, except enjoying that very moment.

The other night, I sat on my deck and put my feet up. I took a deep breath of the cool night air. I watched the chicken hawk swoop from one pine tree to the next. I enjoyed the pleasure of just sitting on a lovely summer evening. And then, a neighbor approached from the side of my yard. 'Hi there!' he said. 'I was walking and saw you just sitting.'

Yes, I was just sitting... and there is nothing wrong with that.




No comments:

Post a Comment