Friday, November 30, 2012

When Opportunity Knocks...

   "It takes a lot of courage to accept who you are and what you believe in, but it takes even greater courage when you remain true to yourself when surrounded by those who do not share your values...that is a person I hope to always be, and the only type of person I would call a friend!" ...yeah, that's what my Grandpa Frank would say! Some people might say I got lucky and wasn't it a fortunate coincidence that Katy decided to attend the Apple Harvest and meet my parents. I say it has nothing to do with luck...it's just preparing every day so you are ready when the opportunity to take the next step in fulfilling your dreams comes knocking! (from Grandpa's Grapevine by L.Massucci)
  Do you have a friend or coworker who is always complaining that nothing ever 'goes their way' or they are 'stuck in a rut' and try to make everyone else around them miserable, too? Why not ask this person- 'What have you done today to prepare yourself for all the good fortunes that await you?' You prepare for vacation. You prepare for retirement. Why not prepare for opportunity? I believe a dream will always remain a dream unless you prepare...and it's a lot of work! Preparing to get published means writing when you have 'writer's block', receiving rejection letters and telling yourself it's just one person's opinion, and blogging while asking yourself- 'is anybody reading this?'
   The first story in the trilogy 'Family' is called 'Grandpa's Grapevine'. It will be published by Trestle Press in 2013. I started preparing for 'Grandpa's Grapevine' in 2006. I started writing 'Grandpa's Grapevine' in 2007.  I completed the story in 2008. I was signed with Hartline Agency in 2009 and started writing the second story of the trilogy, 'Mama's Bookends'. I began to write 'Mama's Bookends' before my agent found a publisher for 'Grandpa's Grapevine'. Why? Because you prepare for opportunity! Now, after the publishing of 'Grandpa's Grapevine', Trestle Press will also publish 'Mama's Bookends'.  Some may say- 'How lucky to find a publisher that likes two of my stories.' I say, 'How fortunate I was to be prepared for the opportunity!'
     When opportunity knocks, will you be ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment