Sunday, September 7, 2014

Maggie's Thought for the Week: It's Okay to Lick the Bowl





I love watching dogs eat. They lick their lips as you are preparing their food, their eyes never leave the bowl as you carry it to them, and they lick the bowl clean.

Maggie was no exception. Her licks became more intense when dinner included a little gravy, couscous, or the special treat of vanilla ice cream. The bowl would spin around and she would spin with it. There wasn't any trace of her meal left in the bowl. It looked like dinner had never been served.

As humans, we are raised with manners and table etiquette. I don't want to see someone licking their plate in a restaurant. However, it does make me happy when I have dinner guests 'scrap up' every last morsel on their plate. I enjoy company entering my home and smiling with delight, as they smell the pasta fagoli cooking on the stove.  Ask for seconds, you are my new best friend!

Maggie loved licking her bowl. She enjoyed her food. I was happy knowing she was happy. It doesn't get much better than that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment