Monday, September 22, 2014

Maggie's Thought for the Week: Quiet Time Is Important





Our life journey includes many stages. One day we find ourselves worrying about college loans and the next- it's worries about mortgage payments & caring for our family. 
  
Whenever I share my worries, I receive the same solemn advice: just breathe, this too shall pass. Sometimes, life gets so loud & fast pace, it is difficult to just breathe. The result can be a migraine, decrease in patience towards our loved ones, or even the 'it's time to open the container of chocolate ice cream'.

  Maggie would often find a quiet place when the company stayed too late or the neighborhood party became too loud. She never barked or whimpered at the inconvenience.  Many times,
I would find her curled up on a cushion on the deck or her favorite corner in the bathroom.
 
Maggie knew the importance of removing herself from a situation that was becoming overwhelming. As adults, we often feel the need to fix everything or help everyone who asks. We often forget the importance to 'step away' and find our own quiet time.

The other day, I felt agitated just thinking about my to-do list for work & home. I took a deep breath. I made myself a cup of coffee and sat on my deck. I watched the hawk swirl in the sky, admired my beautiful mums, and observed the leaves starting to change colors. I didn't complete my to-do list that day, but I did find some quiet time for myself...and that's important, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment