Wednesday, September 24, 2014

When It's Family...Everyone Has 'Their Dish'

I don't know how it happens, but I can honestly say every family has it happening to them. Every party, special occasion or impromptu meeting lends to a relative earning the title- Their Dish.

As a child, I knew a family reunion meant mom was making potato salad. At Christmas, I knew which casserole came from every aunt & mom always baked the cookies. My grandma had her special way of making chicken & my nanny made spaghetti and meatballs. My dad makes the best lasagna. Everyone loves my sister's stuffing. As for me, the requests range from deviled eggs, brownies and pasta fagoli.

I find the label comforting. An inner feeling of joy, knowing you are making someone else happy, just by sharing something you take pleasure in creating. The gift of food & sharing time with one another. It creates memories that, at times, helps us through difficult moments. It creates lasting relationships & peaceful resolutions.

They say you can't be mad at somebody once you break bread with them. You may not like them, but you will leave the table understanding them.  And, when you understand someone, your hate towards them is replaced with prayers & patience.







No comments:

Post a Comment