Wednesday, September 3, 2014

When It's Family... You Go to the Fair

As a child, I waited with anticipation for the Apple Harvest Festival in my hometown. People would save seats along the sidewalk with their lawn chairs to insure the best view of the parade. There was always a line for fried dough, kelly dogs and apple fritters. The weekend of Arts & Crafts meant finding someone a gift for the approaching holidays.

Fairs provide people with a sense of community. A time when people share their pride in public service, volunteer clubs and home-town goods & services. Reminders of what was important 'back then' and what remains special to us now. A helpful hint that we are stronger when we work together.

While I was writing 'Legacy of Grandpa's Grapevine', I wanted to include the Apple Harvest Festival in the story. I thought it was important for people to be reminded that, once upon a time, downtown merchants really did exist, and festivals served the purpose of people enjoying each others company & meeting new neighbors.

The story will be released soon by Helping Hands Press. Until then, I hope you enjoy this excerpt from the book; I enjoyed writing about Grandpa Frank & Elizabeth.
 


The fair was a great way for Grandpa Frank to discuss his life story with Max.  I think someone wanting to find out what America was all about from an immigrant amused my Grandpa. We showed Max the downtown, and Grandpa retold stories about how it used to look and all the ‘old-timers’ that owned family stores.  We ate some food and walked the fairgrounds. Grandma Marie never bought anything at the craft booths. She always said it meant more to create those simple decorations yourself. It’s what made a house into a home.
          “Do you have a downtown like this in your hometown, Max?” asked Grandpa Frank.
          “We used to, but there are more mini-malls now than mom and pop stores.”
          “That’s the problem with the young people today. There is no sense of community. When I came to America, I had a family already here waiting with open arms to take care of me and my Marie. We had to stick together. Those Irish wanted us back on the boat.”
          “I remember reading about that. It must have been tough.”
          “A little.” Grandpa Frank rubbed his chin. “No more difficult than young people today. At least Marie and I had people to take care of us, look out for us and show us the way. Today, you young people think you can do it all on your own. You live in a town with strangers, you have fancy storefronts, but you don’t even know the people inside. Sometimes fancy isn’t always better, capisce?”
          “So, most of your friends no longer have the stores?”
          “Yes, some have stayed in town.  Some have gone to that place they call paradise.”
          “Heaven?” asked Max.
          “No, Florida.” Grandpa Frank gave a loud laugh. “I got you, yes?”
          “Yeah, you got me.”
          “So, Elizabeth says you want to take my picture?”
          “Yes.” Max looked around for me.
          “Yes,” I answered, as I turned toward them. “Max is a great photographer and he is trying to capture the true essence of America.”
          “And I am this America?” Grandpa Frank stood tall and brushed the wrinkles from his shirt.
          “I thought you could be one of the characteristics I was trying to capture. You know, the man who comes from Ellis Island and makes a new life for himself.”
          “What makes you think I started a new life?”
          “Well, I just thought, you know you had to start all over again in a new country.”
          “I’m just teasing you, Max.  I guess a young man like you would think that way. I look at my life and think I would have lived the same way in Italy.”
          “But Grandpa Frank,” I interrupted, “I thought you said you came to America for a better life?”
          “I came to America for better opportunities, yes.  But I did not live any differently when I came to America. You see, you young people think how you live is what you have. I think how I live by what I do.  When I come to America, I still love my wife and I raise my children and I am a good citizen.  I would do that in Italy, too.”
          “I guess that counts as the speech for the day.”
          “No speech Elizabeth, just my true essence. You see Max, I learn quick, yes?”


No comments:

Post a Comment