Wednesday, September 10, 2014

When It's Family...Everything Is a Teachable Moment






September 11, 2001 has become a day etched into the memories of my generation; just as the attack on Pearl Harbor for my grandparent’s generation.  Both events remind one of indescribable horror and senseless loss of lives. Those two historical days will forever teach us one valuable lesson: our family is our top priority.

The morning of September 11, 2001 found me at work, like most Americans. I was teaching at an elementary school. Many of the students had parents who worked at a nearby Naval base. I recall some students being dismissed and whispers in the hallway. Approximately eleven o’clock, I was told the news. I immediately went to my cell phone and called home. Knowing my family was safe, and letting them know I was safe, was all that mattered.

The days following 9-11 seem like a dream. However, I remember calling my family every evening and spending time with my neighbors in the apartment complex. No one wanted to be alone, and most had family far away. Every television channel was covering New York City and the Pentagon. All other programs didn’t seem important: Big Brother, Access Hollywood…how can anyone make that a priority?

I hope we never have another day like September 11, 2001. However, I wish people didn’t stop behaving like they did the days following that horrific event. People spent more time with their family & friends, strangers were nicer to each other because nothing seemed worthwhile to get mad about, and our U.S. flag was visible on almost every front porch and car.

Maybe our grandparents (those survivors of Pearl Harbor) were smarter than us. They prioritized family dinner over staying late at work, their shows on television valued family life and laughter instead of violence and gossip, and they honored their country, because even with her faults- there is no better country than America.


 America has its faults as a society, as we have ours.
But I think of the Union of America born out of the defeat of slavery.
I think of its Constitution, with its inalienable rights granted to every citizen still a model for the world.
I think of a black man, born in poverty, who became chief of their armed forces and is now secretary of state Colin Powell and I wonder frankly whether such a thing could have happened here.
I think of the Statue of Liberty and how many refugees, migrants and the impoverished passed its light and felt that if not for them, for their children, a new world could indeed be theirs.
I think of a country where people who do well, don't have questions asked about their accent, their class, their beginnings but have admiration for what they have done and the success they've achieved.
I think of those New Yorkers I met, still in shock, but resolute; the fire fighters and police, mourning their comrades but still head held high.

--British Prime Minister Tony Blair

No comments:

Post a Comment